EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) is also known as tapping
You want to know what is EFT as this is another one of the techniques I often use in both my Reiki healing and Holistic Life Coaching with you. I guide you through it step-by-step, relating directly to your unique needs.
It is a technique of tapping with your fingers on the energy meridian points on your hand, face, collar bone and top of your head. The meridians of the body were first discovered by the Chinese and are used in acupressure, acupuncture and other meridian therapies. Tapping on the meridian points clears negative emotional energy blocks. It shifts your vibrational frequency and creates an open flow of energy, the result of which is emotional freedom.
When and how to use EFT
EFT is a rapid way to clear yourself of (unwanted) emotions, as well as mental and physical conditions, as it only takes a couple of minutes. EFT is used in a wide range of therapies for many different purposes. Many Reiki Masters combine EFT with Reiki treatments. EFT may be used in instances of illness, self-sabotage, fears, panic attacks, phobias, anxiety, grief, weight loss, cravings, headaches, and to stop smoking. The reasons are endless.
If you have suffered severe mental or emotional trauma in the past, it is highly recommended that you find a qualified EFT practitioner or therapist who can assist you through the process, as traumas resurface.
I will teach you here the basics and will guide you in our sessions together
However, there are further learning methods with more tapping positions available on the internet. Psychological reversal and affirmations are combined with tapping. You will focus, ‘acknowledge’ the problem, and then use an affirmation for self-acceptance. This means you will be using a ‘negative’ focus to clear yourself while you are tapping. Some examples of the phrase to use:
- Even though I have a headache, I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
- Even though I am depressed, I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
- Even though I have such anger towards ….., I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
- Even though I have this craving for sweets, I deeply and completely love and accept myself.
To tap, you will use your index and middle finger together (either hand). Tap firmly, three–to seven times, on each spot. Do not tap too hard as this will cause a bruise. Feel the level of intensity of your problem and rate it between one and ten. Repeat the phrase as you are tapping.
The tapping positions
The positions exist on both sides of the body so you can use either side, even both. The meridian positions to tap on are as follows in this order of sequence:
- Karate point: on the side of your hand (either one). It is the fleshy area on the outside of the palm of your hand, used to do a karate chop. It is a tender spot to touch.
- Eyebrow beginning point: just on the inside of the top of your nose.
- Side of the eye: on the end of the bone bordering your eyebrow.
- Under the eye: on the bone, below your pupil, in the middle point under the eye.
- Under the nose: on the middle soft area between the bottom of your nose and top lip. The area that dents in.
- Under the chin: midway between your bottom lip and end of chin. The area that dents in.
- Collarbone: just below the collarbone. The middle area where your sternum (breast bone) and first rib meet. To find it follow the u shape bone at base of throat. Go down about 2 cm and across toward shoulder about 2 cm. It is a tender spot.
- Under the arm: below the armpit in the middle where a women’s bra line would be located. About 5 cm down from the armpit. It is a tender spot.
- Below the nipple: just under the breast in the middle, in-line with the nipple. Where the under-skin of the breast meets the chest.
- Top of the head: in the middle of the head on the top.
This is the end of the process. Now feel the level of intensity to the problem. If it is still high, repeat the tapping.
- Return to karate chop point: to repeat if you desire to go deeper on clearing other thoughts that come to mind during tapping. This happens as energy shifts and you tune in more specifically to the cause of your problem.
So now you know what is EFT!